NEurope

Forums

1. N-Europe

1. Board News & Issues

Any news regarding the forum will be detailed in here. Also contains suggestions, questions and error reporting threads.

1. General Chit Chat

This is the place to chat about anything!

1. Nintendo Gaming

Talk about Nintendo's consoles and their games here, including the Nintendo Switch, Wii U & 3DS.

Discuss anything related to gaming as a hobby and an industry, including retro games.

A forum for any non-Nintendo consoles, including PC gaming.

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a Patron!

• Probably should post this here… Investor's Q&A is now out officially in English.  Transcript is here: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2024/240508e.pdf Some notable tidbits... Nintendo Accounts to transfer forward.  Expected, but nice. Switch 2 won't be dropping support for physical games, unlike what some stupid rumours were reporting before... Console supply at launch should be good.  Good. Oh look! This was a mistranslation, what a surprise  Sounds like they realise that putting out heavy hitting software on Switch 1 is a fools errand at this point, and ensuring business continuity with a successful Switch 2 launch is more important than selling software on their existing hardware.  Makes Metroid Prime 4 even more likely to be a next gen exclusive.
    • Well, the Q&A isn’t all Switch 2 related… just mostly
    • I'm now super confused about what does and doesn't belong in the "Nintendo Switch Successor Announced" thread; is that not the de facto Switch 2/whatever thread now?  Assigning the words "heavy-hitting" to anything Metroid related is kind of wild to me after Dread broke Metroid franchise sales records by selling 3 million units (which, while great for a bit of a series revival, is measly in the grand sum of Nintendo IP) and considering that we haven't had a meaningful update on Prime Remastered sales since it broke the 1 million units sold mark. It's still an incredibly niche franchise.  I think the only way Prime 4 ends up a Switch 2 exclusive is if it's a technical showcase for the console which can't physically run on the OG Switch, which I don't think is impossible, because I'd say Metroid is one of the few IP Nintendo has where I do think it can be given a layer of polish to visually rival other modern AAA juggernauts. Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing, etc., they all look fantastic, but they don't offer the opportunity for a visual blitzing that Metroid does: I'm thinking particle effects; I'm thinking smoke, clouds, leathery alien skin, shiny metal, boots-on-the-ground dirt-on-the-visor; and I'm thinking...more particle effects  Besides that argument, though - which I won't deny is, for me, the strongest one - I don't think software sales is a reason to consider making Prime 4 an exclusive game for the Switch 2. I really don't. Waving goodbye to an install base of 140+ million for a franchise as niche as Metroid is for anything other than technical reasons? I think it'd be wild to do if they genuinely have the option of bringing it to the OG Switch. I think how they handle Prime 4 will be really telling for how that potential cross-gen period might play out for the first couple of years of the Switch 2's life. 
    • Interesting! I've put it on the front page
    • Someone has created a tool that massively helps people in making native PC ports of N64 games. Some tinkering is still needed from developers and it won't allow changes as easily as decomplication-based ports (the recompiled code isn't readable), but it looks like it's going to be a great tool that will allow people getting N64 games running smoother with higher resolutions, widescreen and other stuff. It also automatically builds a version that doesn't contain any game assets (the user will need to provide those themselves) - the person that developed this software has released a Majora's Mask port. One advantage is that this is as accurate as the most resource-heavy emulation, but much easier to run. And it's a lot easier to modify than emulated games as well (just not as easy as decomp ports).  Games with unique code libraries (Factor 5's stuff) still needs work until they would be compatible, but it's a great start in making N64 games easier to play. I'll probably be near the end of playing N64 games by the time a good amount of these come out (I got quite far ahead before I started posting my daily write-ups), but it's still exciting, especially for some of the underrated N64 games (one of them even shown off in the video) to give them a chance to shine.  Oh, and they're working with raytracing mods. They ported Superman 64 to PC and added raytracing.  
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts